[mythtv] Handling independent CI devices

Issa Gorissen flop.m at usa.net
Tue Mar 1 15:59:44 UTC 2011

From: Robert McNamara <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com>
To: Development of MythTV <mythtv-dev at mythtv.org>
Subject: Re: [mythtv] Handling independent CI devices

<http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg22196.html>

<http://www.mail-archive.com/linuxtv-commits@linuxtv.org/msg09640.html>

> > you
> >>
> >> MythTV only supports integrated hardware CAMs.  MythTV must be able to
> >> pull a decrypted video stream straight from the tuner card.
> >
> > The card comes with 2 tuners (CineS2 / DuoFlex S2 / Satix S2) and there
are
> > version with 4 tuners. The CI is really independent and has such, the
working
> > schema will have to be expanded.
> >
> > With this hardware, it would be possible to decrypt several services from
> > several transponders (tuners).
> >
> > Also, this CI would allow one to decrypt services with a card not design
> > support a CI addon.
> >
> > So, is your comment a definite no on this topic, or is there room for
talks ?

> It has nothing to do with us.  We are consumers of the v4l-dvb API.
> If you want support, you need to get it from them.  We provide no
> decryption services whatsoever. (and won't)
>
> Robert

Hi Robert,

I understand pretty well that MythTV is a consumer of the API. The API needs a
change because of a new powerful device on the market; as you guys are among
the main users of the API, I thought about checking with you if you had
specific needs. That was the goal of my message.

If you guys do not want to get involve into this, okay then. But it would be a
pity if something is implemented and it doesn't suit you.