[mythtv] Support for upcoming VDPAU on AMD and Myth Player

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 09:50:36 UTC 2011

On 10 June 2011 14:00, Zuriel <elpinkus at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I believe MythTV sends video to the VDPAU API which in turn sends it to the
> nvidia proprietary driver which sends it to the hardware video decoder on a
> recent nvidia card.

The VDPAU library is designed to be hardware agnostic.

The VDPAU library source code is open source. If I remember correctly,
while it's very easy to add support for another vendor than nvidia
with libvdpau, it still needs to be done.

You need to tell libvdpau where the VDPAU drivers are located

> There's a patch ( http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8593 ) adding VA API
> support to MythTV which would give AMD users hardware video decoding but I
> think wasn't added due to immature drivers and general bugginess.

I'm more keen on getting VDPAU working first, because I'm sure it's
going to be far less painless to integrate the ATI vdpau drivers, with
the generic libvdpau

JY