[mythtv] Mythfilldatabase and Shepherd (tv_grab_au)

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Tue Jul 19 09:14:48 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 19 Jul 2011 11:42:00 Max Barry wrote:
> That wouldn't be ideal for us since we're not the datasource; we don't
> have any special knowledge about when would be a good time to run. We
> just don't want everybody piling on to a particular source at once. Changing
> the default MFDB window to 0/23 would be simpler and better
> from our point of view.

I assumed that this is in effect already what the scripts you use do, or do you
just ask users to setup the cron job at a random time? The time you feed back
to MythTV doesn't have to be provided by the data source, it could just come
from the grabber which generates a relatively random time ~24 from the last
run.

The way this would be implemented in xmltv would be through the --capabilities
API - http://wiki.xmltv.org/index.php/XmltvCapabilities. A new
'suggestnextrun' capability for example.

The ultimate aim here is to simplify things for the end-user so that all xmltv
grabbers can operate in exactly the same way and with minimal configuration.
For most xmltv grabbers this means simply by selecting them from a list of
available grabbers in mythtv-setup and selecting which channels to grab data
for. This is also cross-platform, it should work the same way on Windows, BSD
and OSX.
--
Stuart Morgan
MythTV