[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: bbaaadc1a by

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jan 21 10:38:00 UTC 2011

'Twas brillig, and Gavin Hurlbut at 21/01/11 07:30 did gyre and gimble:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:14 PM, Jonathan Martens <jonathan at snetram.nl
> <mailto:jonathan at snetram.nl>> wrote:
>
>     Is the guideline available somewhere? I am curious to know why this
>     is the case...
>

> The reason is simple:  rebase is for intermediate to advanced users, and
> many of our developers are beginners at git.  Once they are more
> comfortable with git, I am sure that rebasing will happen more and more.
>  git rebase is a fairly perilous command, especially if you aren't sure
> how to back out of any issues it caused you that one time at 4am or
> something.
>
> Basically... once the developers are ready for it, rebase will be fine,
> and will likely become *recommended*...  but we aren't willing to toss
> them into the deep end of a pool with sharks in it.  Just the deep end
> of a pool :)

Just for some general advice if users (especially beginners) do not use
it, I can strongly recommend using the git bash prompt.

I'll post this as a separate post so it gets some exposure.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
myth(at)colin.guthr.ie