[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: bbaaadc1a by

Nicolas Riendeau knight at teksavvy.com
Fri Jan 21 00:16:28 UTC 2011

On 1/20/2011 3:39 PM, Jonathan Martens wrote:
> On 20-1-2011 19:01, Nicolas Riendeau wrote:
>> (That's not actually the first time this happened (it happens relatively
>> frequently)
>
> Yes, I have noticed and it itches. IIRC this could easily be resolved if
> the committer would first rebase

Sorry, I'll try to do better next time... I am fully aware that the tree
must be up to date in order to avoid these merge commits but as I said
it's not that I forgot to update it, it's that I took to much time after
updating it before actually issuing a "push".

I haven't committed much since we switched to git but I always avoided
it in the past by updating my tree before committing new stuff...

> <http://www.gitready.com/intermediate/2009/01/31/intro-to-rebase.html>
> in order to get his/her tree up-to-date.

I might have misunderstood the guideline but I believe we were
specifically told *not to use rebase* until we got more familiar with
git. Updating the local copy by issuing a pull is usually sufficient...

>> but I guess you noticed it because the committer info wasn't
>> displayed, only the author's info... Usually it's less noticeable because
>> you only see devs names (but you see the same stuff "committed" two times
>> though...)
>
> I have noticed it before, but since this commit was commenting out some
> code I was triggered, as most of the time code is not commented out but
> removed or rewritten IIRC.

There's probably a useful use for these merge commits but the way *we*
currently use git they are only some sort of echo of a previous commit
and it's that previous commit people should be concerned about if they
appear to cause problems....

Have a nice day,

Nick