[mythtv] New Music Visualization : Need to process signal between frames

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 19:52:37 UTC 2011

On 16 December 2011 06:24, Martin Andrews <mythtv-dev at platformedia.com> wrote:
> I'm building a 'Piano' spectrum visualization, where the pitches detected
> directly correspond to piano key pitches.
>
> At the moment, the standard fps=20 means that I'm only seeing a fraction of
> the data in my .process(), since (at the moment) the MainVisual::timeout is
> discarding 'between the frame' nodes of audio data, choosing to only call
> .process() when it wants to .draw() the visualization.
>
> However, for low notes on the piano, I need longer periods of audio data to
> get good recognition, so I'd like to run some kind of .process() even for
> non-displayed chunks of audio.
>
> Since this feature doesn't seem to be present, what is the MythTV preferred
> way to implement this :
>
> (a) Add an additional parameter to .process(node) :  i.e.  .process(node,
> will_be_displayed=true).  But the downside of this is that other
> visualizations will have an extra 'ignore this one' choice to make; OR
>
> (b) Add an additional virtual function to VisualBase : i.e.
> .process_between_displayed_frames(node), which no-one else will be hooking
> into, but I'll be able to use to analyze the whole audio stream.  Downside
> is VisualBase gets a little hairier; OR
>
> (c) Some method I haven't thought of.
>
> Each will need a little something added into the loop
> of MainVisual::timeout() which is discarding  node data.
>
> An alternative (funky) workaround is to set fps high enough that I catch all
> the data. But that's pretty inefficient, since there's no need to refresh
> the screen at ~90fps (44100/512 looks like it would be chunk frequency).
>
> Could someone with an opinion please weigh in? I'll submit a patch vs SVN
> once it's looking classy...

Martin,

This looks interesting. I don't honestly know the most appropriate
response to your query, other than to say you should really contact
Paul Harrison about his plans for MythMusic. It is currently
undergoing a re-write. He has contacted me about using the fledgling
visualiser support that was added to libmythtv but I'm not sure if
that's the route he's going to take.

regards

Mark