[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 72d437001 by Daniel Thor Kristjansson (daniel-kristjansson)

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Tue Dec 13 02:57:50 UTC 2011

    > Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 23:01:46 +0000 (UTC)
    > From: MythTV <noreply at mythtv.org>

    > Adds 'damaged' video property for poor recordings.

    > [ . . . ]

    > 								    In the
    > future we may add transport stream discontinuity or other recorder
    > specific quality metrics.

Awesome!

I'm not running master, so I can't submit code for this yet, but may
I suggest that another quality metric is whether or not the recording
contains EAS bursts?  This is a -constant- problem on my Comcast feed,
where they interrupt -every single channel at once- more than once a
week with this stupid test.  Each interruption generally obliterates
about one minute of the feed.  And they randomize the times of the
interruptions, so they's no way to preemptively schedule around them.

You can find well-aged code to implement detection (which works for
any Myth version because it doesn't actually talk directly to Myth)
in http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6899; it shouldn't be hard to
take the alert that code generates (which names the chanid, starttime,
title, and point during the recording at which it detected the burst)
and wire it into your damage-detection logic so the program may be
automatically rerecorded.