[mythtv] Why are themes downloaded to /etc/mythtv?

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 11:29:32 UTC 2011

On Dec 11, 2011 8:06 AM, "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> Actually, I'd prefer not even having a MYTHCACHEDIR.
>
> Firefox doesn't let me specify a different location for ~/.mozilla.  Nor
> does xine allow changing ~/.xine, nor MPlayer its ~/.mplayer, nor DBus
> ~/.dbus, ...
>
> If it's just cache data (once we allow putting the config file
> elsewhere), I really don't see a good reason to move the cache.
>
> Mike

But i think the issue is that mythbackend does not need terminal
interaction. So i think that mythbackend should be treated like an "apache"
instead of a frontend like "firefox".
i.e. Have a main config file in /etc. and mythbackend will look in there
for the location of the cache directory.
Mythfrontend has user terminal interaction, so it is sensible to treat that
like a "firefox" and put its config in $HOME.

James.