[mythtv] Seemingly simple and useful digital audio toggle

Zachary Gleit zlg1 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 3 17:26:07 UTC 2011

I have my MythTV box hooked up to my TV via an analog stereo connection.  I also have the MythTV box hooked up to my surround receiver via an SPDIF output.  I use the analog output when just casually watching TV - the news, a TV show.  But I want to use digital surround pass-through when I'm watching a movie.  The trouble is that there's no easy way to switch outputs, as far as I can tell.  Obviously, I know how to go into settings and change the audio output, but this is cumbersome.

In an ideal world, both streams would play simultaneously, and I'd just put on my surround receiver and mute the TV when I want to listen in surround.  I don't know why this would be hard to implement, since the SPDIF should just be a pass-through, but I've read that MythTV simply can't play two audio streams.

Second best would be a simple menu choice or toggle to easily switch between audio outputs.  Any idea how I can do this?