[mythtv] A perl QAM extractor - call for volunteers.

Robert Kulagowski rkulagow at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 14:49:01 UTC 2011

[Putting on my Schedules Direct hat]

[This isn't the same thing as the perl QAM scanner I posted about last week.]

I've created a perl QAM extractor which reads the mythconverg database
and creates an output file containing frequencies, callsigns and
XMLIDs, allowing users to
submit their QAM information to Schedules Direct.  This will allow
users that have already run something like scte65 or performed a
manual correlation of frequencies and XMLIDs to share that information
with other users in that particular headend.

Tribune's systems (the source of the data for Schedules Direct) are
not programmed to support QAM because the cable companies don't want
to distribute QAM data, so Tribune isn't going to do the R&D to
support QAM if there's no "market" for it. Since the cable companies
are the ones that would need to request the requirement, (and they're
not), Tribune isn’t going to implement something which won’t be used,
and which the cable companies won’t supply data for in the first
place.  We've asked Tribune, and for whatever reason, the cable
companies seem to consider QAM tuning information as proprietary.

Schedules Direct will manage the submission of QAM information files
and make them
available to other users in the same headend.

When the extract is complete the result will be a {lineupid}.qam.conf file
containing information from mythconverg. Please send the file to
qam-info at schedulesdirect.org

So, if you're reasonably proficient, and have a working MythTV system
with valid QAM information, please go to

https://github.com/rkulagowski/qamextract

and download the qamextract.pl script.

Running the script will do this:

$ ./qamextract.pl
This system has the following sources:
Sourceid         Name
1                Comcast Cablecard

Done. Did not find any QAM frequency information in this source!
IL57303:X.qam.conf file may be invalid.

or hopefully, this:

$./qamextract.pl
This system has the following sources:
Sourceid         Name
1                QAM
5                DTA
3                DigitalCable
Select sourceid: 1

Done. Please send PC:60030.qam.conf file to qam-info at schedulesdirect.org

The source code should be pretty self-documenting.  Please let me know
if you have any questions.

Thanks.