[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 2b3de68dc by Mark Kendall (mark-kendall)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Apr 17 19:56:48 UTC 2011

On 04/17/2011 10:29 AM, Peter Stokes wrote:
> On 17 Apr 2011, at 12:32, Mark Kendall wrote:
>> On 17 April 2011 16:22, Peter Stokes wrote:
>>> This change to "mythplugins/mythmusic/mythmusic/avfdecoder.cpp" causes audio playback corruption and should be reverted.
>>>
>>> The values of "ptr" and "len" are modified within the while loop but the corresponding values stored within "pkt" are not.
>> Did you really go to all the trouble of identifying the root cause of
>> your problem in the source without producing a patch?
> "git revert 2b3de68dc2a74febc3ab27161a082b1e11929f4d" ?

For what it's worth, you can't make progress if you take one step
forward and one step backward.

Saying to revert the commit is saying it has absolutely no value and is
completely wrong and that MythTV was--and will be--better off without
any part of the changes.  Having seen Mark's work in general, I find
that hard to believe--hard enough to believe that I would expect someone
who understands exactly what's wrong with the current code would be able
to explain exactly why it must be reverted and why there is no possible
way to make MythTV work without reverting it, if that truly is the
case.  However, since cleaning up compiler warnings has value, I would
expect that it's possible to fix the code to work without compiler
warnings, since I've never seen a problem that couldn't be solved
without compiler warnings.

Just my $0.02.

Mike