[mythtv] Digital audio passthrough

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Sep 15 10:02:00 UTC 2010

'Twas brillig, and James Courtier-Dutton at 15/09/10 10:44 did gyre and
gimble:
> As you can see, none of the sensible options are "default".
> It should also be noted, that if pulseaudio is being used, you cannot
> do AC3 pass through, and the "default" device name might be
> redirecting sound to pulseaudio.

There is preliminary support for AC3 pass through now in PA but it's
still early days to support it properly (we need methods of extracting
timing information from it properly to allow for proper timer based
scheduling to work).

FWIW, I've been using the a52 plugin quite reliably in my media centre
for a while now. It's got the decode/reencode overhead but but it's
working quite perfectly with PulseAudio while still allowing network
access for streaming over the LAN too, so keeps me happyish for the time
being. Eventually PA will handle all the different modes more gracefully
which will make coding for this kind of thing at the application level
much simpler and less prone to lockups and device hogging that plagues
this switching setup (not so much in myth specifically but generally
speaking).

Col

--

Colin Guthrie