[mythtv] Digital audio passthrough

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 00:33:50 UTC 2010

Hi

On 14 September 2010 10:27,  <mythtv at meric.id.au> wrote:
> This one is for Jean-Yves,
>

> A long-standing issue I’ve had with AC3/DTS passthrough audio is that the
> code in Myth which toggles the audio/non-audio flag on the sound card never
> seemed to work for me.  Up till recently, the workaround was to use the
> alternate playback device via advanced options with suitable AES0 flags.  As
> per ticket #8792, this doesn’t work for me at the moment, so I started
> looking into why the normal sound device wasn’t working.
>

> I’ve confirmed that the non-audio flag is set correctly, but gets unset by
> the snd_pcm_hw_params() call in AudioOutputALSA::SetParameters().  I’m
> assuming this isn’t normal ALSA behaviour, as everyone else would be
> complaining about it?

What's more puzzling is that audio stopped working for you sometime in
August, when no change to either the audio code or the playback code
was made.

I would start at looking at the root of the problem and your crap
audio card which requires a full reboot of the PC whenever you play
something else but 48kHz audio.

You can still set an alternate playback audio for digital, just like
you could before