[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r25892 by robertm

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 17:15:35 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 10:10 AM, Jonathan Martens <jonathan at snetram.nl> wrote:
> On 2-9-2010 12:15, Stuart Morgan wrote:
>>
>> Legal reasons.
>
> Stuart,
>
> since you seem to know more on this I am curious to know if you could
> elaborate on this some more as I have been thinking of providing such a
> service.
>
> AFAICT most package are GPL and IIRC you are allowed to distribute it as
> long as you include the source and a copy of the license or did I miss
> something?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Jonathan

It's not a matter of license trickiness, it's about protecting
ourselves from the legal minefield of differing notions in different
jurisdictions about whether or not it's okay to write and freely
distribute a product like MythTV.  This is, more or less, the same
protection relied upon by projects like ffmpeg.

Robert