[mythtv] mythfilldatabas[16844]: segfault at a0 ip 00007fbc0dd7a8e2 sp 00007fbbfd4ec090 error 4 in libmythdb-0.24.so.0.24.0[7fbc0dcce000+13d000]

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sun Oct 31 13:37:48 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 18:06 +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> One of the fundamental point of using C++ ; is that the pointer
> returned can not be null due to memory constraint and it will throw an
> exception before this happen.

One of the C++ features we avoid in MythTV is exceptions as these
are not implemented very safely in C++. There are a couple exceptions
in external libraries we include, but as a rule you should not expect
MythTV to be compiled with exceptions enabled.

Memory constraints are probably not the issue though. By default
a Linux system will pretty much always give you the memory you ask
for unless you tell it not too. I'm pretty sure this is the race
condition in the socket code we diagnosed before the 0.22 release
but never got around to fixing because even though it can cause
any mythtv binary to segfault, it does so after it is safe to do
so.

-- Daniel