[mythtv] To Robertm re Arclight Fonts

Yianni Vidalis yiannividalis at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 24 16:15:00 UTC 2010

> Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 08:32:07 -0700
> From: robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
> To: mythtv-dev at mythtv.org
> Subject: Re: [mythtv] To Robertm re Arclight Fonts
>
> 2010/10/24 Yianni Vidalis <yiannividalis at hotmail.com>:
> > Hi, Robert,
> >
> > I really like the Arclight theme so I decided to try and "mess" with the
> > fonts you included to translate them into Greek. I tried with the League
> > Gothic first, and after changing some letters, I realised that Arclight kept
> > showing the Arial fonts for the Greek letters, not the ones I had created
> > using fontforge. If I replace an English letter with a Greek one in
> > fontforge, however, the Greek font will appear. And the letters appear
> > correctly in Greek if I use the same font in openOffice (I copied the .otf
> > files to /usr/share/fonts and ran mkfontdir).
> >
> > I assume that somehow Arclight chooses only the English part of the .otf
> > file. Am I wrong?
> > Can you please point me to the right direction, if you have the time?
>
> The theme doesn't have the power to only use a part of the font file.
> I have no idea what you are seeing as I do not use a non-latin
> character set, but since I am not the author of the fonts, and the
> theme doesn't have the power to restrict which characters are used
> from the fonts, I am at a loss as to what to tell you.
>
> The source sites for the font files are in the LICENSE file, they
> would be more expert at troubleshooting font issues than I.
>
> Robert

I appreciate your answer.

I understand you can't help with this one, but just to explain further what I see: Arclight shows the correct League Gothic characters for English, but shows any non-English characters using Arial. Even after copying the English "A" to both the Greek capital "A" and lowercase "a", Arclight refuses to show the slim League Gothic Greek letters but chooses to use their Arial equivalent characters. This behaviour is shown only in MythTV, openoffice shows them correctly when I type them.

Thanks anyway,

Yianni.