[mythtv] BrowserBased setup

Per Lundberg perlun at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 19:30:19 UTC 2010

Hi Stuart,

Trying to keep my hands off this discussion :-) but just one quick note:

> QT is not the 'GUI' library that many people seem to think it is. It's a
> complete toolkit which allows abstraction from platform specific APIs and
> behaviour. It's what allows much of our platform independence. It's also jam
> packed full of useful classes and functions dealing with everything from
> networking, to events, to xml,  which are superbly documented. It's basically
> what the STD libs should have been.

This is actually quite an important point. I've worked with Qt a bit
myself, but it was a couple of years ago, when the version upgrade at
the time was from Qt 2 to Qt 3...

Qt does quite a bunch of things that simplifies developing
professional C++ applications, actually. As you're saying, it is a bit
like what the STD libs should have been. And, I'd like to state (from
someone who has been working more on Windows than Linux for the last
couple of years; this has NOT been the case previously, just so you
all know...), it is also a bit of a "predecessor" of the .NET
Framework, if you like...
--
Best regards,
Per Lundberg