[mythtv] BrowserBased setup

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Nov 24 16:56:27 UTC 2010

  OK...  Time for this thread to die.  If anyone wants to keep it alive,
please move it to the proper list--the mythtv-users list.

Thanks.

Mike

On 11/24/2010 10:59 AM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Most developers are awful at making friendly user interfaces.  Mythtv is
> certainly an example of that.

OK, I've been mostly ignoring this useless thread, but I can't let this
one stand.  MythTV developers are not awful at making friendly user
interfaces.

>    It works great underneath and has lots of
> features, but where you get to those features is an inconsistent mess.
> Not that I think I could do any better myself (being a typical developer
> and all).

This has nothing to do with lack of design skill.  MythTV is where it
is--and needs work in some areas--for many reasons.  Developers lacking
skill is not one of them.  I've been working with MythTV developers in
various capacities for years, and they truly impress me with the level
and variety of skills they bring to the project.  Included in the
variety of skills that some of them bring is good UI design.

>    My wife keeps threatening to attack mythtv, but should
> probably finish her PhD first.  Not sure if the UI or the scheduler
> offends her more.

OK, I'm just going to chalk the "offended by the scheduler" comment up
to the fact that one or both of you don't know how to use MythTV
scheduling ( http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html ) and you
seem to think it should "do what I mean, not what I say."  Then again,
maybe you mean the scheduling interface (which is still "the UI").

If you do feel you need to justify your comments, please do so on the
mythtv-users list.

Mike