[mythtv] BrowserBased setup

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Tue Nov 23 21:27:35 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 23 Nov 2010 20:12:21 Per Lundberg wrote:
> Has there been any discussions taking place as to what the chosen
> platform for this would be? I'm thinking in terms of web server
> platform (PHP, CGI, whatever).

Built-in webserver, C++ and HTML + javascript.

> Personally, I'd definitely give the
> Silverlight (or even Flash, but I have more experience with
> Silverlight) platform my vote. It is a much nicer environment for
> writing "real" web applications than e.g. PHP with a ton of
> Javascript.

No Silverlight support on linux/bsd (Moonlight is crap) and that's just the
start of the problems with that suggestion. The whole point of the browser
based setup is to be very simple, requiring the user to install and configure
a webserver, a runtime interpreter (php) or plugins which only work on some
platforms defeat this entirely. HTML + Javascript are open standards,
supported natively by every webbrowser and portable.

> Anyway, regardless of the platform chosen, I think the important part
> here is to make the setup process much more "simple". I mean, it
> shouldn't have to be much more difficult to configure a (basic) MythTV
> setup than to set up your regular STB, really.
<snip>
> It should Just Work<tm>. Like a Mac. :-)
> (For the record, I don't even own a Mac; this is being written in
> Iceweasel on a Debian setup)

Requiring a browser plugin that either isn't available or working on most
setups is simple?
--
Stuart Morgan
MythTV