[mythtv] Understanding the myth source code

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Sat May 29 09:18:12 UTC 2010

On 29 May 2010 09:48, Ed W <lists at wildgooses.com> wrote:
> On 29/05/2010 09:38, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>>
>> Do the myth developers agree with me that minimising the amount of
>> processing between DVB card and the recording on the HD is a good way
>> to go?
>>

> I think posing the question in such an open way is not likely to get you the
> response you are looking for...

If we put aside the profiling and improving performance points.
I would like to move all the "processing" to after the "recording" stage.
If I wanted to record a DVB mux that did not contain any recognisable
video or audio, mythtv would refuse to record it currently as it would
not see any key frames.
I.e. It was data in some format that the mythtv backend did not understand yet.
I want to be able to record this data, and then later process it or
implement support for it in myth. The important bit, being recording
the data in its original form.

It is looking to be a rather big task based on the current mythtv
architecture that relies on the processing being done before
recording.

Kind Regards

James