[mythtv] Understanding the myth source code

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Tue May 25 20:38:54 UTC 2010

Hi,

I am trying to understand the myth source code.
I have a question.
When recording a program, why is the mythbackend trying to decode
audio and video streams?
Why does it need to decode them?
Surely, only the frontend needs to decode video stream?
Also, if the backend has to wait for a key frame before sending the
stream to the frontend, won't this just increase the time it takes to
switch channels?
Is this why myth takes a long time to switch channels?

I would like to improve the time it takes to switch channels, but
would like to be sure I have the reason why correct before spending
time on it.

Kind Regards

James