[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r24475 - in trunk/mythtv/programs by gigem

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Fri May 7 20:13:42 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 9:52 AM, ryan patterson <ryan.goat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 11:55 AM,  <mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org> wrote:
>>      Author: gigem
>>        Date: 2010-05-07 15:55:16 +0000 (Fri, 07 May 2010)
>> New Revision: 24475
>>   Changeset: http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/24475
>>
>> Modified:
>>
>>   trunk/mythtv/programs/mythbackend/scheduler.cpp
>>   trunk/mythtv/programs/mythbackend/scheduler.h
>>   trunk/mythtv/programs/mythfrontend/globalsettings.cpp
>>
>> Log:
>>
>> Extend the SchedOpenEnd feature to optionally avoid scheduling
>> back-to-back programs on the same card even if they are on the same
>> channel.  Patch from James Hook.  Closes #8429.
>
> Could you expand on the explanation?  It seems to me that the
> preferred behavior is to schedule back-to-back programs on the same
> channel on the same card (but different virtual tuners).

Here's my own perspective.  This is the scheduling feature I've wanted
for a long long time.  I have 2 HDHRs for an ample total of 4 OTA
tuners.  Often there are consecutive shows on the same channel.  The
myth scheduler has always insisted on scheduling those consecutive
shows on the same tuner.  This is fine, unless the broadcaster's time
doesn't agree with NTP and you end up with the beginning of the second
program on the first recording, or the end of the first program on the
second recording.

To work around this, I took Mike Dean's suggestion and added 1 minute
of hard padding to the start and end of all recording rules.  Then I
would watch out for conflicts and fix them by overriding select
recording rules to remove the hard padding.

With this change, I can make the setting "Never" and remove the hard
padding from my recording rules, and the myth scheduler will try to
put consecutive recordings on different tuners.  Then the soft padding
will usually kick in to make sure I don't lose the beginning or end of
a show.

Thanks James and David for this!

I have a related question about the scheduler.  Here is what the
scheduler now does with Thursday night, which would cause conflicts
with hard padding that I would have to resolve manually.  (taken from
mythweb and edited to keep columns not too wide)

Ant-1 Community: English as a Second Language   11.1  08:00 PM   30 mins
Ant-3 FlashForward: The Negotiation             7.1   08:00 PM   1 hr
Ant-2 The Vampire Diaries: Founder's Day        44.1  08:00 PM   1 hr
Ant-4 Parks and Recreation: The Master Plan     11.1  08:30 PM   30 mins
Ant-1 Fringe: Over There, Part 1                2.1   09:00 PM   1 hr
Ant-4 The Office: The Chump                     11.1  09:00 PM   30 mins
Ant-2 30 Rock: Emanuelle Goes to Dinosaur Land  11.1  09:30 PM   30 mins
Ant-3 The Mentalist: Red Letter                 5.1   10:00 PM   1 hr

Notice that the 8:30 and 9:00 recordings on channel 11.1 are both
mapped to the same tuner.  Those two programs really need padding
because the end of one usually runs immediately into the beginning of
the next.  When I would resolve the hard-padding conflicts, I would
usually remove the padding from Fringe and Vampire Diaries and keep
the padding for these two.

Is there a way to modify the recording rule priorities or something
that would help influence the scheduler toward my preference?

Jim