[mythtv] MythUI OSD branch and the way forward

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 04:14:07 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 9:04 PM, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hopefully that's all sufficiently clear. If not, I'll crawl back into
> my hole and brood on it some more:) In case it isn't obvious, I'd like
> to move to option 6 as soon as possible - but it's not my decision and
> I've spent so long working on it that I may have overlooked the
> obvious...

Mark,

I am all for your approach of option 6.  I don't know if this will
ease any tensions or confusions that might arise in reading this, but
some of the arguments for this approach in my mind are:

* It allows for some extremely fancy UI integration with video,
unlocking potential UI capabilities people have often wished for in
Myth.
* It is the same approach that is used across a wide variety of
hardware by XBMC and Boxee, which also do their rendering in GL.
* Simpler maintenance of the video output code.

The work you have done on the OSD branch is enormous and In my
(admittedly biased) opinion, I think that it's better to "measure
twice and cut once" as my mother would say-- do it right the first
time.  Thanks for all you done, I say "go for it."

Robert