[mythtv] Truncated translation

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 23:42:14 UTC 2010

HI Gilles,

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 11:09 AM, gilles <choteau.gilles at orange.fr> wrote:

>   in Terra  ==>Rechercher les doublons dans les enregistrements ac
>   in Mythcenter ==> Rechercher les doublons dans les enregistrem..
>   in Arclight  ==> Rechercher les doublons dans les enregist...
>
> And for "Look for duplicates in current and previous recordings" it's the
> same text. In this case it impossible to make the difference.

Speaking for Arclight, all of the buttons/selectors/buttonlists/etc.
are carefully adjusted for the length of the english strings, to fit
as best as possible.  Translators who want to make them fit will need
to take into account the theme layout in the string, otherwise you
will end up with truncated strings like this.  This is how strings
which overrun which have the <cutdown> attribute set to true in the
theme are presented.  The translated string is too long, so myth cuts
it down to fit.

> My screen is in 1024x576 and i try to adjust the font size but it's not
> enough (-30% max)and it applied for all text.

If you want to edit font sizes, it needs to be done in the theme XML
files, not in the small/medium/large text setting-- these settings no
longer have any affect on themes.  I wasn't clear from your statement
here if you had tried adjusting the frontend setting, but I wanted to
let you know that that won't work.

> This screen is enough to increase the buttonlist and so on.
> I see Terra, it's easy to create a new buttonlist "baseextrawideselector"
> for the extralarge text
>
> My question: are you agree a patch with this thing ? is it the good way ?
> have you another way ?

I know that I would be very against making any adjustments to Arclight
for translated strings which compromise the current sizing.  It's a
massive amount of work just to make the English strings fit, if I
worry about arbitrary-length translated strings too, the theme will
never work well in any language.

Robert