[mythtv] Accuracy of external subtitles

Taylor Ralph taylor.ralph at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 04:22:53 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 6:21 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> On 03/09/2010 02:24 AM, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
>>> Any thoughts/comments on this?
>>>

>> Related/similar to http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7515 ?
>
> I was wondering the same after seeing Taylor Ralph's update of #7515
> this morning.  I just got a chance to try out the essence of the patch
> (i.e., using timecode instead of frameNumber), and so far it's working
> perfectly, the subtitles are completely in sync.
>
> Jim

Using the timecode is definitely the right solution. The code
currently using frame numbers and rates is essentially flawed since
not only can the rate change but you can also have repeated frames
which aren't accounted for in the calculations. The only modification
needed to the timecode patch is to account for the start time and wrap
bits which are both available via AVContext and AVStream. A simple
function can be added to avformatdecoder.cpp to handle this. Once
that's completed and tested it can be committed.

Regards.

--
Taylor