[mythtv] Recording series with different titles on DVB

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 19:00:41 UTC 2010

On 31 July 2010 18:20, Rune Petersen <rune at megahurts.dk> wrote:
> On 2010-07-31 18:05, Mark wrote:
>>
>>    My DVB-C provider (Yousee) has decided to put episode information in
>>    the event title, which mythtv interprets as different programs.
>>
>>    Since mythtv already can store the seriesid from the
>>    content_identifier_descriptor I was thinking of either add a new
>>    query for services, or modifying some of the existing queries to
>>    prefer the seriesid over the title.
>>
>>    any comments are welcome.
>>
>>    Also if someone could point out to me where the queries are located
>>    I would be grateful.
>>
>> I may be way off the mark here, but wouldn't the best way to address
>> this be an eit_fixup?
>
> AFAIK according to the DVB standard it is perfectly legal to have different
> titles for different episodes/events in a series.
>
> With better/any "record series" support, this issue would not exist.Also it
> would allow for improvements to the recording GUI (series could be handled
> differently).
>
> Personally I'd much rather fix the issue in a general way, rather then just
> adding a fixup for my provider.

A similar issue was reported last year - please see:

The /correct solution/ if your DVB provider includes valid
seriesid/programids would be to use serieslink-type functionality in
the recording rule and dupe detection, as this is what it was designed
for.

The use of EIT fixups within the internal EIT scanner is being kept to
a minimum for performance and maintainability reasons - the regexps
are built at compile time.

My reply in the thread above was to consider using an XMLTV DVB
grabber to allow post-processing of the listings outside of MythTV and
then import them. This is how the pure-XMLTV tv_grab_uk_rt works, but
this doesn't use DVB at all. This can handle all manner of mangled
titles/subtitles and correct them before the data hits the MythTV
database. At some point, I'm going to be looking into a combiner for
UK DVB/XMLTV listings to provide the richest listings possible.

As Mike says in his reply - the /current best solution/ (and if your
DVB provider does not transmit seriesid/programid information) is the
use of power rules to look for specific strings in the title field.

Cheers,
Nick

--
Nick Morrott