[mythtv] ImportRecorder

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jul 28 04:44:34 UTC 2010

  On 07/28/2010 12:14 AM, Nigel Pearson wrote:

> I'm looking at patch #8580
> (add a DEMO recorder in mythtv-setup + videosource.cpp),
> and am thinking about using ImportRecorder so do both.
>

> (partly because IMPORT is a better name than
>  DEMO or TESTFILE or FAKETUNER or whatever.)

Personally, I thought Demo was a great name--as it would be a
demonstration of how TV recording/playback works and would be exactly
what someone would want to use when setting up a MythTV box to
demonstrate the application at a show or something.  :)  (But I'm not
set on any particular name.)

But, the important point is--regardless of name--the whole purpose of
the patch on #8580 was to make configuration  of the already-existing
dummy/test/mpegfile recorder possible using the GUI.  Currently the only
way to configure a dummy recorder is by manually editing the database
(because of the checking that the MPEG tuner type setup code does).  So
we already have a tuner type for it (and all the code for it)--all we're
lacking is the GUI setup code.  (And the name "Dummy" didn't seem
appropriate for showing to the user in the UI.)

And, though I don't know details, the dummy recorder does some nice
things.  It allows you to do recordings or watch Live TV without a
capture device and it knows to skip to a new section of the file when
you change channels in Live TV and things like that.  As long as we
don't lose those capabilities, whatever approach you all feel is best
works for me.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/310974#310974
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/217058#217058

is about all I know about the existing stuff (other than setting it up
isn't fun without a nice GUI :).

Mike