[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r25364 - in branches/release-0-23-fixes/mythtv by gigem

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Jul 17 08:19:21 UTC 2010

On 7/17/2010 03:55, Torbjörn Jansson wrote:
>>> Note: this changes the ABI and protocol versions, so it's probably a
>>> good idea to make clean before compiling.
>>>
>> Please say you are pulling our legs - changing the ABI OK but the protocol
>> version? in fixes?
>>
>> I thought that was the biggest no-no apart from database version changes...
>>
> Why would changing protocol version be a problem in fixes?
> As long as the new protocol version don’t conflict with something in trunk
> and that a fixes installation can be upgraded later to the next version this
> can't be an issue.
>
> When you do an update you have to update all parts of a mythtv install
> anyway.

The idea is that you can update parts of your MythTV install, and they
will all remain compatible so long as they are all of the same -fixes
branch. Protocol and schema revisions are generally discouraged on the
-fixes branch, but this one was especially problematic as it did
conflict with an existing protocol revision used by trunk.