[mythtv] Could we use thetvdb for tv preview images?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Jul 1 16:33:26 UTC 2010

On 30/06/2010 09:54, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Nick Morrott
> <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com <mailto:knowledgejunkie at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Here's an existing ticket if anyone's interested. Beirdo recently
>     hinted he may look at it in the future.
>

> It may take some time before that becomes a priority though.  It is a
> significant amount of work to convert all date/time handling to UNIX
> epoch time...  however, if we did at some point, the removal of many
> conversions to and from could give us a decent amount of extra CPU
> cycles, although likely not all that noticable these days with such
> fast processors.  It could also allow us to remove timezone
> constraints as internally it would all be UTC, essentially, and the
> only time the timezone really would matter is on output to a human.
>
> I have many other things in my queue ahead of considering this massive
> of a change, so don't hold your breath :)

Is there not already something in QT that can handle this, eg
QDateTime?  There is probably some non zero difficulty to get everything
in the DB to UTC, but thereafter all date calculations can be done using
UTC dates and converted only for presentation to the user?

On the surface it would seem that most of the Myth code wouldn't be
touched (after all comparing, manipulating dates remains the same, who
cares what reference point they are based on).  The trick would seem to
be the DB upgrade, ensuring xmltv scrapers convert correctly, EIT input
is adjusted correctly and basically all the input points to the system?

Sounds like a useful change to have on the todo list anyway?

Cheers

Ed W