[mythtv] Change to People Searches

freedenizen freedenizen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 18:29:24 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Stuart Morgan <stuart at tase.co.uk> wrote:
> Unlike title searches, or keyword searches, people searches only match exact
> names. You can't create a rule for 'Baldwin' to record anything starring the
> Baldwin brothers, you need to define rules for 'Alec Baldwin' etc
>
> Is this the behaviour we want to keep? It seems more useful to allow partial
> matches, this avoids problems such as listings providers using different
> variations of the same name. e.g.
> "Robert De Niro"
>  aka "Robert De Niro Jr."
>  aka "Robert DeNiro"
>  "Robert Mario De Niro Jr."
>  aka "Bobby DeNiro"
>
> The above would be covered with a search on "DeNiro" and it's unlikely to
> produce bad matches if you use full names so no regressions.
>
> Thoughts?

My only thought is that there should be a way to force it to be an
exact match, I can't really think off the top of my head but I'm sure
there are some actors whose names are rather close, think "xxx yyy"
and "xxx yyy jr."  Maybe entering a search of "^xxx yyy$" or something
similar to force it to only match the former and not the latter?  Or
maybe this situation is so rare/unlikely as for it to be unnecessary
to code for.