[mythtv] 0.23 Bug Squashing Party

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Fri Jan 29 14:44:17 UTC 2010

On Friday 29 Jan 2010 14:21:41 Chris Pinkham wrote:
> * On Wed Jan 13, 2010 at 10:02:45AM +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> > Something that xorg uses is a "nominations" wiki page. It's slightly
> > different in that case as it asks for nominations of patches from git
> > master to the stable branch.
> >
> > But in this case would a wiki page with trac ticket numbers and some
> > minor (i.e. short) comments on the patch in question help to organise
> > things? It could be a bit "manual" but it seems to work quite well for
> > xorg (although project sizes and release process is different so may not
> > apply here).
>
> I think that something as simple as an update to a 0.23 milestone bugfix
> ticket saying that the applied patch corrects the issue will help us in
> getting fixes into svn.  The more people that test a patch, the more
> confidence we have in that patch.

Cue an avalanche of trac comments ... "Works for me too, please commit to
0.23". I've a feeling that the wiki might be more manageable, otherwise we'll
spend the entire weekend just trying to catch up with the email generated by
trac.

Reports of regressions caused by a patch are maybe more important. Testing of
patches is normally biased to those who stand to benefit from the fix, e.g. a
fix for Italian DVB will be written by, tested by and work for Italian users,
but no-one tests it with Spanish DVB and we only discover that it breaks
things for those users after the commit.

--
Stuart Morgan