[mythtv] Translation: Some textstrings are untranslatable?

Nicolas Riendeau knight at teksavvy.com
Sat Jan 16 01:00:40 UTC 2010

Hi!

Stuart Morgan wrote:
> On Friday 15 Jan 2010 19:38:52 Kenni Lund wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>A friend and I have begun the process of getting the danish
>>translation of mythtv+plugins back in shape, as the current
>>translation is quite outdated.
>>
>>After fully translating all of mythvideo and mythweather into danish,
>>we've noticed that several of the translated strings isn't being used
>>once we test the translations in latest trunk.
>>
>>We assume that these are bugs, as it's only some strings who have the
>>problem (at least in the case of mythvideo, it seems to be worse in
>>mythweather).

In MythWeather the content (like the day names, weather description) usually stays in
English since the source of the information is usually in English.

(The day name is one exception when the info comes from the BBC though as the day is
returned as a number and that number is translatable into a day name.)

There are however quite a few things that should be translated in MythWeb Weather
screen (I haven't checked one the frontend) and I am currently working on a patch.

I also have ticket #7527 (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7527) and ticket #7792
(http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7792) for MythWeb which allow the translation of
additionnal strings.

I also had ticket #7473 (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7473) which addressed a
small translation problem in MythGame which was recently committed by Robert McNamara
(Thanks!!)

I also had other translation related tickets but these are the most recent ones and
the first two are currently active (ie not committed tickets).

These are the translation tickets I am aware of since I made them, there might be
others as well...

The most notable "problem" as far as translation is concerned in MythWeb is the
status screen which comes directly from the backend AFAIK and which is not translatable.

>>Neither my friend or I have the knowledge or time to look into this at
>>the moment, but since we're going through almost all of the strings
>>anyway, would it be of any help if we took note of the untranslatable
>>strings and filed a bugreport with them for each of the plugins in
>>Mythtv?

I am one of the "translators" (Dammit Jim, I'm a programmer not a translator... (-; )
that worked (with 3 other people) on the French translation of MythTV. When they (or
I) noticed translation problem I tried to track them down and patch them when I found
their cause.

(We actually have a pretty big problem with MythWeb's Video screen which is one of
the thing ticket #7527 fixes (it's a Javascript issue with our translation)).

If you send me an email in which you would list your translation problems I could try
tracking them down... I make no promises though, I do this as time permits...

> The translation files .ts don't keep pace with the code, it's not worthwhile
> updating them every time a string is added/removed/changed in the code, they
> are updated when we reach the feature freeze.
>
> Most of these are probably not bugs and submitting reports would not be
> helpful. If you can wait until the .ts files are resynced again then filing
> reports for any strings still not translated would be appreciated.

Discussing about these problems was one of the reasons I had suggested the creation
of a MythTV translation mailing list a few months ago but it looks like there was no
interest to make one back then...

The OP isright that there are places when the string is there but for some reason not
used (I had begun to look at the problem for one of them but was sidetracked). At
other places it looks like the themestring.h (sp?) file is simply not up to date
(which it should have been since we noticed it when 0.22 was in code freeze).

Have a nice day!

Nick