[mythtv] Ideas for MythMusic rewrite

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Wed Jan 6 22:47:38 UTC 2010

On Thursday, January 7, 2010, Ross Campbell <ross.campbell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 4:53 AM, Paul Harrison <mythtv at sky.com> wrote:
>> We'll probably regret this but we would like your opinions :-)  We are
>> in the process of  switching MythMusic to MythUI and would like to take
>> the opportunity to make some much needed improvements to the interface.
>
> Simplest usability improvement I can imagine would be to make
> browseable trees out of most important id3 tag data. Currently
> browsing a large music collection with a somewhat laggy remote in
> mythmusic is just way too hard.
>
> Top level menu:
>
> Current Playlist
> ---
> Album
> Artist
> Genre
> Playlists
> Rating
> Year
> ---
>
> My requested behavior would be to ADD a selection to current playlist,
> not replace it. Add options to current playlist menu to allow for
> shuffle, clear, move track up/down, save playlist

This is the exact behavior of the soundbridge. Trees by tag, and at
each level it has an "add to queue" button, or a "play just this"
option. at the top of each level is a "select all" option, but it is
the same as hitting add at the level above.

So you navigate to u2, add all to queue. Then you find 2 more songs
you want and add those. Later in the night you want just one album, so
you navigate to that album and hit play instead of add, and it
replaces you queue.

Simple to use, covers most real use cases, and doesn't require crazy
playlist management stuff to work. You can add precanned playlists
from the backend, but no real need to from theclient.