[mythtv] Ideas for MythMusic rewrite

Kris Raney kraney at kraney.com
Sun Jan 3 16:31:19 UTC 2010

First off, I want to thank the developers for opening this up to suggestions.

My main request is that play, pause, stop, and skip use the corresponding buttons on the remote, just like when watching video. Also just like when watching video, these functions don't need representations onscreen.

For building playlists, I'd like there to be a good web UI to do the heavy lifting. From the remote, I'd really only like to have these options:
 * select a playlist to play
 * kick this song off of this playlist - preferably with a single button press, or maybe press + confirm. (I suggest using "down" as the reject button, as in 'thumbs down', so the number of buttons needed on the remote doesn't expand beyond what's needed for video. Ideally all the functionality would fit into up, down, left, right, enter, P, M, and I)
 * add more songs / create a new auto playlist using songs like the current song (maybe 'up' for 'thumbs up'?)

Basically, the idea is to make it so the fundamental way that you edit your playlist is simply to listen to music, and then either confirm that the song belongs on the playlist by doing nothing, or kick it out of the playlist. The playlist becomes "correct" over time as you listen. If I want to do something more complex than that, I'll use the web interface rather than being limited to the remote.

To put it another way, the fewer controls the better.

Last thing I suggest is to have visualization running all the time in the background, and when the user starts doing something, just overlay the controls, which disappear after several seconds of inactivity. Assume that the vast majority of time will be spent just playing music, with no interaction.

- Kris Raney