[mythtv] Longterm direction of eitfixup -- and some specific advice sought.

Håkon Alstadheim hakon at alstadheim.priv.no
Sun Jan 3 00:05:45 UTC 2010

Hi all, I must admit I don't follw this list too closely, so maybe my
question has already been answered. A google search or an URI in answer
to this mail will be well received.

I'm working on some eit fixups for Norwegian DVB-T, specifically the
free-to-air channels I recieve. I'm dispatching off the network ID for
everything, like so:
-- from eithelper.cpp: --
    // Norway
    fix[8770U  << 16] = EITFixUp::kFixNO;

This may be too broad. May I just go ahead, and leave it up to others to
write a narrower entry? Might possibly move special cases out to a
"FixNRK", but it looks as if the number of customizations in these files
is going to grow pretty fast as DVB is spreading around the world. Are
we just letting things grow out of hand until we have enough "raw
material" for building a few hard-coded rules, and  moving the rest off
to user-scripts? Having a "FixPerlEmbed" would seem like a logical route
to me.

It is easy to get carried away when tweaking the EPG visual result and
balancing against the ease of use in making recording rules. Do I leave
stuff like "Film: " at the start of descriptions in, or is it better to
remove them? The result certainly LOOKS more pleasing without thos
textual markers, especially since mythweb color-codes movies anyway.

Will there be a consolidation effort on the fixup-code, so that I should
try to keep commonalities as separable stretches of code, or do I just
follow my instinct and twirl the spaghetty as tightly as possible around
my fancy of the day?

P.S: I have been holding off on this effort as long as my custom version
of tv_grab_no held together, but it broke just this week. Some tweaks
are definitely needed, no matter what source of guide data one uses.

--
Håkon