[mythtv] ffmpeg-mt

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 20:40:34 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Marc Hinrichs <tux at chefmail.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to this list. I just googled after ffmpeg-mt integration into
> mythtv and found some older threads on this list.
> I am very interested to use ffmpeg-mt on my mythtv box since I have an
> AMD Dualcore and am only able to watch my HD recordings using an
> ffmpeg-mt version of mplayer, which I have built on my own.
>
> So what is the status of integrating ffmpeg-mt? Are there already any
> useable patches? Can I contribute?
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc

Marc,

The best (and indeed, only) thing you can do is to contribute to
ffmpeg-mt being merged into upstream ffmpeg, which is how it will
ultimately get into MythTV.  There is interest upstream in doing so,
but as ffmpeg-mt has some serious bugs that need ironing out first,
and it's an extremely invasive change to ffmpeg, they need to be
careful about how they do so.  When I most recently spoke to one of
the FFMpeg devs, I heard the the original author of the code, Alex
Strange, may finally be starting to work towards merging the branches.

Robert