[mythtv] mythtv commit: r23016 - in trunk by stuartm

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jan 1 03:40:13 UTC 2010

On 12/31/2009 01:09 PM, David Engel wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 02:08:55AM -0800, Yeechang Lee wrote:
>
>> David Engel says:
>>
>>> Should this be applied to 0.22+fixes as well?  This is probably the
>>> reason Kerry Bishe's name is meesed up on new episodes of "Scrubs".
>>>
>> Yes, please! It's clearly a bug (one that didn't exist in 0.21), and
>> had the fix existed earlier I wouldn't have ended up blowing away four
>> years' worth of recorded programs' credits data in a futile effort to
>> fix what I believed was an artifact of the 0.21->0.22 UTF8
>> bungling.[*]
> Yeechang, do you have a specific actor's name that shows the problem
> in 0.22 and is fixed with this change?  I actually started to apply
> the changes to 0.22 yesterday.  It didn't appear to fix the problem I
> saw with Kerry Bishe, so I didn't commit it.

FWIW, a large number of people have corrupt names in their people table
because they corrupted their database back when we used latin1 storage
and they followed the old instructions on the HOWTO for doing a "new
hardware/partial restore".  The procedure given always corrupts.

So, if either of you had ever done a partial restore with the database
you're using now, you have broken names.

Of course, for new names, the data should be correct.

Out of curiosity, what do you get from:

SELECT person, name, HEX(name) FROM people WHERE name LIKE 'Kerry B%';

I'm considering eventually fixing people.name in a DB update, but it's
extremely low on my priority list.

Mike