[mythtv] ATSC question

Devin Heitmueller devin.heitmueller at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 20:12:35 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Stuart Morgan <stuart at tase.co.uk> wrote:
> It doesn't. I can't speak for the North American devs, but it's unlikely we'll
> use it, the same information only more detailed and thus more useful is
> probably included in the guide data (Schedules Direct, EIT or otherwise)?

I totally agree with Stuart on this point.  The ATSC guide info is
nowhere near as good as the SchedulesDirect, as SD:

* Provides all the same information as the ATSC guide
* Provides two weeks worth of schedule data, as opposed to the ATSC
guide where broadcasters only provide the next 3-6 hours worth.  The
ATSC guide is good on your TV to get info on what's currently playing,
but pretty useless if your goal is to schedule recording of something
more than a couple of hours in the future.
* Doesn't require a periodic channel scan (with the ATSC guide you
have to tune to the frequency to get the info for that channel)
* Is dirt cheap at $20 a year, providing very little incentive to do
the engineering required to provide a "free" version with much less
functionality.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller