[mythtv] Question about caption drawing

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 17:24:01 UTC 2010

I usually display EIA-608 captions with a black background, using the
default FreeMono.ttf font.  They display fine on a 1280x720 TV.  But
on a 1366x768 TV, a few pixels on the left and right often get chopped
off, especially for uppercase captions.  I was able to improve this by
adding 8 or 16 to font.width(cc->text) in
SubtitleScreen::DisplayCC608Subtitles(void).  I tried using
font.boundingRect(cc->text).width() instead, but that width is
consistently smaller.  I haven't yet tried any other fonts.  I see the
same behavior with text subtitles, which are slightly different in
that they appear to be drawn with a slightly larger font size.

Any idea whether this might be a problem with FreeMono.ttf, Qt (4.5),
or libmythui?

Jim