[mythtv] UPNP

Matt Pyne mattpyne at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 20 12:27:32 UTC 2010

Hi David,

Thank-you for the background.

I can kind'of understand why the upnp video was done this way, but I can't help
thinking that there are plenty of other open-source upnp servers that offer the
functionality of serving a directory tree of media.  I think the integration
with MythVideo is more obvious - if you don't use mythvideo, then you want get
videos served, this seems pretty obvious too.  MythVideo gives you the nice user
interface and allows the user to easily add the metadata that is important to
the Upnp server, without the metadata it others little over sharing the files
via Samba or similar.

I understand the drawbacks of MythVideo, but I think these are problems to be
address by MythVideo not by the upnp server.  Also I understand from a neatness
point of view it might be better for the upnp serving of the videos to be in the
MythVideo plugin, but I think that would be impractical, and lead to duplication
of the upnp code.

Anyway, I have the patch and I am going to submit it.  It works lovely for me
and I leave it to powers that be to decide if you want to implement it or
not....

Thanks,
Matt.