[mythtv] Extending ProgramInfo::ToMap to get Ch.Freq+TunerID+SourceName into LiveTV OSD -- just need hints

David Kubicek foceni at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 10:39:18 UTC 2010

  I love MythTV (always used trunk, though recently reverted to
0.23-fixes, because a lot of stuff in trunk seems broken for now) and
use it as a DVB-S PVR. Thing is I'm still missing some features when
compared to my previous (low-tech) sat. boxes. I tried VDR in the
beginning, but that is /too/ old-school for me. :)

So I've decided to write it myself, but reading MythTV code, there is
little documentation and only few comments. It is apparently written
quite well, I really like the style, but it's a little bit hostile
towards new people. Having such a large project without any class design
/ integration descriptions and detailed comments is a shame. That's why
I'm here, hoping to get some hints.

I'd like to add the ability to display (e.g. via "INFO" binding)
transponder info and "input name" when watching LiveTV. Eventually also
DVB provider names per channel, but that would require scanner update
and DB extension and some more. So to begin with, just this. I need this
feature because with multi-tuner DVB-S, the user has to know about
inputs and card switching (LiveTV doesn't manage it automatically).

I could find that OSD gets data from the InfoMap generated by
ProgramInfo::ToMap. I even noticed the ProgramInfo already has
sourceid/inputid/cardid members! Great, I translated them into names and
put into the map, but then I realized that for LiveTV, these variables
were all zero. :)

I searched how exactly ProgramInfo is used, init'd, updated, but that's
when I got lost. Too much code without descriptions. I'm hoping somebody
here will be so kind and give me hints on how this class is used and
where/when can I set these ID's to have them available for LiveTV.

Please, do let me know. Thank you.

--
David Kubicek