[mythtv] UPNP

David Blain MythTv at TheBlains.net
Wed Aug 11 18:30:15 UTC 2010

When I originally wrote the upnp stack, I had it use the videometadata table.  Some time ago, someone else switched it to use the upnpmedia table.  If I remember correctly this was done due to the fact that the videometadata table didn't contain data unless the MythVideo plugin was installed on a frontend (which not everyone has) and a scan was performed.  Also, newly added video's weren't picked up unless by upnp clients unless MythVideo was opened and a new scan was performed.

I personally feel that the video, music, photos, etc...  scanning/tracking should be part of the backend and not tied to the MythVideo plugin (I also think it should all be in one table with unique properties stored in related tables, but that's a different conversation) .  I know there is a lot of work being done to integrate mythvideo, add Storage Group support and use the new FileSystemWatcher Qt class to detect new files instead of scanning, all of which will make the final implementation completely different.

Just wanted to give you a little history.

David.