[mythtv] Is /etc/init.d/mythbackend no longer installed?

Jongi jongitech at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 22:42:11 UTC 2009

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 00:26:17 +0200, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Jongi <jongitech at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So I updated to r22022 tonight using svn update (Debian Testing).
>>
>> I first did a make && make install in mythtv directory. Everything
>> compiled
>> and installed without a hassle. I then did a reboot. When the frontend
>> loaded, it told me no backend was running. So I tried to run
>> /etc/init.d/mythbackend restart. No such file error.
>>
>> So I then did a make distclean and redid the install. Still no
>> /etc/init.d/mythbackend. I have done a google search and a list search
>> (Dev,
>> Commits and Users) and I didn't see anything that suggests that this is
>> no
>> longer available.
>>
>> I could add /usr/bin/mythbackend -d to my /etc/rc.local file. But I
>> would
>> like to find out whether the init script has been removed as a policy to
>> avoid further complications down the line when 0.22 comes in deb format?
>>

> Myth does not and has never installed an init script for you.
> Packagers add them.
>
> Robert

I think I see what has happened. I removed the deb packages about a month
ago. A couple of days ago I ran aptitude purge ~c which removes config
files as well. going back to the aptitude logs shows that myth related
removals happened (backend being one of them). So I suspect that all along
the init script has been hanging around until I purged the config files as
well.