[mythtv] UPnP server and transcoding

Jeremy Palenchar jeremy at palenchar.net
Wed Oct 7 18:19:23 UTC 2009

> > This is me thinking about the problem and seeing if it is something I
> could
> > work on.
> >
> > I understand from the MythWiki that there are several UPnP server
> frameworks
> > that are open source. I would probably look to see if these
> frameworks
> > support this functionality and then propose the idea of adopting one
> of the
> > frameworks in Myth instead of rolling my own. One benefit of adopting
> > framework is we could get some future enhancements from them for
> "free."
> >

> Myth already has a built in uPnP server and library, libmythupnp (see
> trunk/mythtv/libs/libmythupnp) so that would be where you would want
> to start.  MythBackend also contains all the other component pieces
> necessary to accomplish the transcode by virtue of linking libavformat
> and libavcodec.  You may want to look at:
>
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6906
>
> for some inspiration of how transcoding can be accomplished by the
> backend.
>
> > Are there any dev's currently working on UPnP? Has any of this been
> > discussed? Recently?
>
> If anyone is working on anything new for uPnP, they haven't mentioned
> it in quite a while.
>
> Robert

I guess my thinking about using one of the other libraries is that they may
be much farther along than we are and we could gain by leveraging their work
and focus on uPnP. I am thinking about full implementation of the spec,
testing, etc.

Perhaps we could change libmythpnp to be the glue between myth and their
framework instead of doing all of the uPnP heavy lifting ourselves.

-Jeremy