[mythtv] UPnP server and transcoding

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 17:34:53 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Jeremy Palenchar <jeremy at palenchar.net> wrote:

>> http://www.upnp.org/standardizeddcps/documents/UPnPAvArchtiecture0.83.p
>> df
>>
>> Search for "GetProtocolInfo()"
>>
>> So is this you volunteering to work on it?  :)
>>
>> Robert
>
> This is me thinking about the problem and seeing if it is something I could
> work on.
>
> I understand from the MythWiki that there are several UPnP server frameworks
> that are open source. I would probably look to see if these frameworks
> support this functionality and then propose the idea of adopting one of the
> frameworks in Myth instead of rolling my own. One benefit of adopting a
> framework is we could get some future enhancements from them for "free."

Myth already has a built in uPnP server and library, libmythupnp (see
trunk/mythtv/libs/libmythupnp) so that would be where you would want
to start.  MythBackend also contains all the other component pieces
necessary to accomplish the transcode by virtue of linking libavformat
and libavcodec.  You may want to look at:

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6906

for some inspiration of how transcoding can be accomplished by the backend.

> Are there any dev's currently working on UPnP? Has any of this been
> discussed? Recently?

If anyone is working on anything new for uPnP, they haven't mentioned
it in quite a while.

Robert