[mythtv] Safe/Easy way to tweak plugins?

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 00:14:04 UTC 2009

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 10:59:17 -0400, Andrew Barbaccia
<andrew.barbaccia at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 10:04 PM, Lindsay Mathieson <
> lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I wanted to make some minor changes to mythvideo (trunk), but also
>> to stick as much as possible with trunk packages from mythbuntu, so was
>> wondering if this was a safe(ish) alternative to building everything
>> source. Basically I install libmyth-dev and only build the plugin I'm
>> working with. And of course "safe" excludes whatever breakage I've
>> the plugin, but I'm assuming the api's will be compatible.
> Why not download the package source, apply the patches, and rebuild

Because I'd refer to stick with the existing packages as much as possible.
And I presumed libmyth-dev was there for a reason. However I can see that
overwriting an existing mythvideo plugin with my custom build is kinda
counter to that philosophy :)

> You could even create your own ppa to have all your systems update from,
> and
> to go further, share with other community members in the same

That would be the correct thing to do - never created a ppa before though.
Could be interesting,

Lindsay Mathieson