[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r22134 by stuartm

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Oct 1 15:56:26 UTC 2009

On 10/01/2009 03:53 AM, Simon Kenyon wrote:
> Robert McNamara wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 12:42 AM, Simon Kenyon wrote:
>>> did you just remove size:small and size:big?
>> Yes, it was intentional.  They weren't used in any themes, and were
>> deprecated artifacts of the old theming style, and they were difficult
>> to predict in terms of placing and size.  The new <pixelsize> tag is
>> far more easy for themers to work withand it's much easier to tell
>> what size font will fit in what size textarea.
> maybe they are not used by the "core" themes - but there are others
> out there which do use them
>
> furthermore, you can change the font in the UI
>
> i would ask that you consider adding them back

Over the years with Myth, we've gotten a huge number of complaints/bug
reports from users that "Changing the font size has no effect."  The
reason it had no effect is because the user chose a theme that did not
provide different values for default/big/small font sizes (meaning there
was only a default size).  Also, to make it even more confusing, some
themes provided only default and small or default and big.  Therefore,
unless we force all themes to contain default/small/big font definitions,

However, from a themer's perspective, properly supporting the
default/big/small font sizes means designing /and testing/ 3 screens for
every screen.  Though this may sound like "only tripling" a themer's
work on a single theme, it's actually /much/ more than triple the work,
as the themer has to reload the theme for each font size change and then
verify the font/text placement/boundaries.  Then, if anything needs
changed, it needs to be tested again in the other sizes.  Also, because
of these issues, the small/big font layout is likely to get much less
attention than the default font and is likely to have many more issues.

IMHO, this is a waste of time for the themer.  Designing a different
theme is a better approach--and likely to yield /significantly/ better
results overall, as the entire theme was designed specifically for the
text size used.

Mike