[mythtv] DVD playback issues, patch

Davin McCall davmac at davmac.org
Wed Nov 25 06:34:11 UTC 2009

On 25/11/09 12:36, John P Poet wrote:
> I am finding this conversation interesting.
>
> I have been wondering why timestretch playback is not smoother than it
> is.  My system (using software decoder) can playback anything I throw
> at it, including 1080i H.264 material with yadif (2x) deinterlacing.
> As soon as I bump up the speed even one notch (1.05x), my log file
> starts filling up with:
>
> NVP(0): Video is 3.67133 frames behind audio (too slow), dropping
> frame to catch up.

Hi John, one problem that may be affecting you is that Myth doesn't
properly drop frames at the moment. I have a patch for that which I've
attached. It's independent of my other work on Myth.

I haven't yet opened a ticket for the issue, as I'm still waiting for my
previous patches to be applied to trunk. One of them was applied and has
since been reverted, even though the problem it opened up already had a
patch waiting for it in a second ticket (and I've now had two separate
confirmations that the two patches together solve the relevant
problems). I'm frankly a bit annoyed at the whole development process
that reverted the patch, without re-opening the relevant ticket
(http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7067 for instance) and without
consulting me, so I'm not trying too hard to get a few other patches
that I have  to be accepted, but you're welcome to try this one and see
if it helps in your case. (There will probably still be frames dropped,
but not nearly as many).

Davin.