[mythtv] Live TV via UPnP

Kunal Kandekar kunalkandekar at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 23:30:13 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I'm new to myth-dev... I am working on extending David Blain's UPnP work for
MythTV to allow playback and recording of live TV via UPnP. More precisely,
I would like to implement the AVTransport:2 specification.

I am working with release 0.22, running on Ubuntu 8.10 on a Mac Mini, with
 I am testing this with a HDHomeRun tuner.

I'm currently trying to simulate frontend commands at the mythbackend in
response to UPnP commands to trigger the recording of live TV. The recorded
mpeg file would then be streamed over HTTP (or whatever else works). I think
I have the UPnP part figured out (from looking at the source in
<myth-src-dir>/libs/libmythupnp/).

But now, I need to get live TV recorded programmatically, i.e. the code gets
a channel number (and, if necessary, a source ID) and I want it to get
mythbackend recording that channel. The channel ID, channel number, source
ID etc. come from the Content Directory service, which is essentially the
EPG. Like all current UPnP services, this code would be running in a HTTP
server thread in the mythbackend.

I've been looking at the following:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Using_the_Myth_protocol (this is outdated, I
think...)
<myth-src-dir>/programs/mythbackend/mainserver.cpp
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6906

What would be the simplest way to record live TV for streaming? Should I try
simulating the same things mythfrontend does, or is there an easier way? Any
other places I should look for sample code?

Thanks a lot!
Kunal