[mythtv] MythTV parental rating in DB schema

Doug Young goofdad at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 16:34:30 UTC 2009

Showlevel is the field you need, but it is NOT automatically filled
based on anything.  If you want to fill it based on the movie rating,
your scheme makes sense.  Honestly I'm happy with the no auto-fill.
It allows me to make decisions based on my personal review of the
movie rather than someone elses.  Yes, getting them in was a hassle.
We use them to mean:

   1: Everyone OK
   2: Teens OK, Younger kids with supervision
   3: Teenagers OK, no Younger Kids allowed
   4: Adults Only

In our house, those don't necessarily line up to movie ratings.  When
I wrote the code to use 3 different passwords (for levels 2, 3, and 4)
so I could use this feature, my wife and I printed out a spreadsheet
of all 400+ movies we had at the time and sat over dinner and went
through them one by one and made decisions.  Old fasioned, but it
worked ;-)  I ended up updating the DB by hand with those changes.  I
guess it's what I get for not trusting the MPAA.
--
Doug

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 1:50 AM, Menny Even Danan <mennyed at gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't used it before. I'm developing my own script which bulk updates
> all my videos, and fill meta-data from thetvdb and themoviedb/imdb.
> Due to request, I wish to add Parental Level support, and for that, I need
> to know the DB schema related.
> The "rating" column holds a string representation of the rating which I
> retrieve from the meta-data sources, and this information is shown in the
> videos browser.
> But MythTV does not take it into account when parent level is enabled.
> So I figured there is another field I need to fill...
> Any ideas?
>
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 11:34, Allan Stirling
> <dibblah.allan.stirling at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Menny Even Danan wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm trying to understand the parental level use in MythTV so my metadata
>>> script (http://code.google.com/p/fill-mythvideo-metadata/) will also add the
>>> required meta data for this too.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how MythTV stores this information?
>>> In the 'videometadata' table there are three columns:
>>> showlevel (int)
>>> rating (string)